Thursday, August 12, 2010

Live in Hong Kong goes on...

Almost 3 weeks in - I can't believe it! I feel like I have learned soooo much in the last three weeks - more then I've had to learn in the last three years combined. But I can do it. We got our official Hong Kong ID cards. They are serious here! It has a chip in it and they digitally take your thumbprints and that's on the chip. It's crazy.
I can live here and function as I would in the U.S. however it's so different too. It's so hard to explain. I live here and work here and am experiencing everyday life not just as a tourist. But I am still aware of all the differences. Like when my kids are eating snack sometimes I just don't know what they are eating. I ask them and they don't know how to explain it. Or in our breakroom there are candies and cookies and different snacks - some by companies I've heard of like Nestle but the actual product is something I've never seen in the U.S. or it will be something totally different for me like these rice crackers with seaweed flakes that we ate yesterday or sugar cane juice in a juice box or chrysanthemum tea in a juice box. So different. Also, I'm starting to recognize cantonese words. I have no idea what I'm hearing but I'm am picking up a pattern. It's probably like if you heard the word "the" in English over and over in conversations. You might think - oh, that's familar - but you have no idea what it means. I really would love to really learn another language. I'm goingt to make an effort.

I'm really liking my school and my team. They are kind and helpful to me and it's a bonding thing to do devotions and pray together every morning. For that I am so thankful. Our principal Tim did the devotion this morning and it so hit home I wanted to start crying right there.

I definitely like my afternoon class more then my morning class right now. I have some very high maintenance boys in my morning class. They are managable but they drain all my energy! I have some super cuties too. They are just such sweet children and the fact that I get to share Jesus with them just fills my heart in ways I couldn't imagine. We pray before snack each day and yesterday I prayed and they just clasped their little hands and bowed their little heads and they prayed so ferverently with me it was almost heartbreaking to see. Then today I asked for a prayer helper to prayer and to hear their little voices say "dear God please bless this food and keep us healthy..." and then they all say "amen" together was just the highlight of my day. I know I'm in the right place and I've had to do a fair amount of "extra" praying these few days so I was able to share with my kids about when you're scared or in trouble you can just pray "Jesus help me" and He will because He sure has given me peace and strength these past few days and weeks.
Academically I can't believe how much higher these kids are then all the kindergartners I've taught in the U.S. even my high level kids. These kids can already do things that are in the curriculum for kindergarten in the U.S. They can write their numbers, they know their numbers, they know their colors, they can all write their names, they know their days of the week, they know their shapes. I've been doing some informal assessment type activities and games and that's what I've determined. Some might be a bit better then others but in general they are much more advanced. They also listen better (mostly - not all). It's still a busy and tiring day but I can see so much potential for the year.
Ernie is also enjoying his job. He says his students are eager for the help he gives them and he seems to be enjoying his team. He got to experience the high school and middle school opening day praise and worship sessions. He says it was awesome. We are going to grow alot this year leading devotions and participating in chapel.
Well, that's all for now. Hopefully I can get into a routine now and feel a bit settled. Up until now every day has been different. Then I can go exploring some more. :) Love to you all!

6 comments:

  1. I love reading about your experiences. God is so good and faithful. No pressure - but can't wait to read the next installment :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing my dear friend. Love reading your blogs. Keep 'em coming. Everything souds so cool, and you sound happy. Good!! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you guys! It is so great to hear all that God is doing! Zion says "hi" and she likes her school. I get so excited hearing about you getting to pray with your students. We're still praying for you often and love "seeing" you on facebook and here on your blog! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so neat to read about your experiences over there. I'm agree with Paula...can't wait for the next installment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Veronica, I read all your posts today and it sounds like you guys are having a great experience. It reminded me of how I felt when I first came to US..:) Have fun and we will keep praying for you. Love you
    -Beulah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Praying with your students????? You're definately not in the US. It all sounds so neat.

    ReplyDelete