Tuesday, October 5, 2010

My Experience at the Doctors in Hong Kong

I thought this was blog-worthy just because healthcare is always such a hot button issue AND with things being so crowded here I expected a nightmare and not feeling well I put it off. However, I knew I had a sinus infection and had no energy and felt miserable so I finally gave in at the gentle urgings of my co-workers. I was going to take today off to go to the doctors so I was typing up sub plans when Cora, the Amin Assistant at our kindergarten gave me a card to a doctors office open until 7pm. I called and they spoke English and set me up with an appointment for 6:10. I called Ernie and he sweetly suggested to meet me at the train/minibus area so we could go together. I took him up on his offer and finished my sub plans quickly and left. We found it fairly easy - it was on the 13th floor of a place called Grand Central Plaza. I went in and it was a small room with sort of built in benches on either wall and a counter to check in. I filled out a minimal amount of paperwork and then waited. They brought me my patient number so if I need to return I have that. Then a few minutes later I went back to the doctor who was in a room behind the counter. She was very nice, spoke English and listened to me. I explained how I'd been sick twice in a month and my previous sinus issues and how I was prone to sinus infections. She checked me out in the normal way and determined that yes, I did have an infection. We discussed antibiotics (me being pretty knowledgeable about them at this point). Then I sat in the waiting room for a few more minutes and I was kind of worried because with our insurance you pay first and then they reimburse you later. I didn't have a whole lot of cash on me. So then I was called up to the counter and given my medications right there. No taking a prescription to Walgreens and waiting another 30 minutes. Then came the bill. It came to - altogether - $30 American dollars. Wow - that's all? I couldn't believe it! That was my co-pay for urgent care back home. And I got my meds, three different ones - And it wasn't busy - And they were very nice. Not a bad deal. God totally took care of me. And I got a doctors note for staying home to rest today and boy I needed it. I put it off because going to the doctors back home was always such a hassle. Long waits - 30-40 minutes past appt time and then you were finally seen and then you leave and have to drive to Walgreens, turn in your prescription and sit there for 30 minutes when all you want to do is crawl into bed. I didn't have to drive - the bus was right there when we were done and home I went. Such a blessing. Which is a good thing because the doctor told me that in the winter the winds change and blow from China, bringing all the pollution from the unregulated factories and I guess it gets REALLY bad here. Like so bad you can see the air around you. She told me to wear a mask or I'd have a hard time. Nice. I guess it can't be ALL good here can it? Well, that's all for now. Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment