Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Life in R2 (Kindergarten sort of)

So every three weeks or so we do a new theme unit. Remember - these are 4 and 5 year-olds. We just started a new unit this week called "Firehouse." This week we are learning about firefighters and their gear and equipment (not exclusively - we do other things too). They are very enthusiastic about this particular theme. Because they are are all ESL (English as a second language) one of our primary goals is to increase their language and vocabulary through activities in our themes. After spending time making a theme web on the board, reading some books, doing a science experiment using a candle and a bottle and water to show how fire needs air and looking at posters of their equipment my kids were totally into it. After theme/center time we all line up and go to the bathroom (but it's called a washroom here). The boys all go into the boys bathroom and the girls into the girls bathroom. I have the T.A. during that time so she goes with the girls and the janitor goes with the boys. I wait outside between the two bathrooms so that I can keep an eye on the kids who come out. Well, one little boy comes out of the bathroom and says to me "Mrs. Davis, we were pretending our wee wee's were hoses and we were putting out fires in the toilets!" Well, that's practical application right? I don't think I can use that as a valid assessment though! I had to turn away because I was laughing so much. Too funny! I guess that's boys for you!

Things are going better for me - I'm getting into the groove of teaching at this school and I am able to start implementing more things that I want to do. I have a set schedule for every day and my first formal observation went very well. It was a hard road at first. There were too many new things being thrown at me. New country and people, new modes of transportation to cope with to and from work. It was (and still is) hard to find the right store to get what I needed, all new classroom to set up, new teachers to learn about and work with, new material to teach, new way to do things, new paperwork and 30 new kids who don't all speak English very well. It wasn't just starting a whole new job, it was a whole new way of life. I'll admit - I had some bad days. But I trusted that God brought me here and He would work it out and He is. I feel much more comfortable now and I was extra conscious of it all because I'm teaching the kids how God loves us and takes care of us and living it at the same time.

Now about finding what I need - okay I hate Walmart. Not because of what they sell but because of the people in there. It always seemed crowded and chaotic with long lines. But I have a whole new appreciation for Walmart now. You don't know what you're missing until you don't have it. Talk about crowded and chaotic - that's about every mall here. And the fact that I have to go to a mall or a certain "street" to find various stores and things is a bit of a hassle. It would be nice to go to one store where I could get milk, some eye makeup remover, a laundry basket, and fabric softener, a measuring cup, a sports bra etc. all in one stop. Here I have to first figure out where to get what and then plan my trip. It could literally take me all day to track all of that down here. I'm not complaining, I'm just saying...it's different. If you've lived here all your life you're used to it but for me it's kind of crazy. But we're doing okay.

Now on to Super Typhoon Megi. Yeah - super typhoon! It goes Typhoon, Severe Typhoon and Super Typhoon. Must be because I complained too much about the last one whimping out. Now nature is going to show me! Everything is getting taped up and sealed up here and some parents were telling me today to stock up on food because everything will close if it's bad. Huh. My first "major" weather. I guess they say now it might be the worse in 40 years not 20 years. Dear Megi - I know you want to show off, but really - you don't have to - I believe you. Love, me.
Well, more about it later granted all our windows and electronics survive the weekend. :)
God bless and peace out!

2 comments:

  1. Stay safe you two.
    I'm following the typhoon online.
    Love you, Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep your heads down, I'm following it to!
    Love you both, Mom

    ReplyDelete