Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Kindergarten Graduation in Hong Kong



My heart is full and my mind is too active so I'm going to blog about this right away. Tonight was our kindergarten graduation. It's a big deal - in the theater on the stage - full on graduation. Everything short of caps and gowns. My two classes - R2B and R2D have been practicing our two songs - Hosanna and You've Got a Friend in Me for almost two months now. We talked about expectations and yesterday had a full rehearsal. I had a new outfit made from China. I wanted to look the part of the professional teacher. Everything was set. I knew just what was going to happen. The students showed up dressed in their best. We gathered backstage in the band room. Mrs. Wong's classes - R2A and R2C were first so we had some time to kill. I got them all lined up and sitting on the floor and read to them. We were all calm. The kids were angels. But my heart was pounding. Then it was time. They listened so well and tiptoed on stage. While Mrs. Wong's parent was speaking a few words of appreciation we were getting up on the risers backstage. Then the curtains opened. My kids stood there perfectly. Then Mrs. Zhou, the Mandarin teacher did her song with them. Then it was my turn. They did perfect! They didn't go too fast or too slow. They watched me. For You've Got a Friend in Me they had to link arms and sway a few times. A quick prayer in my head to do well and not all down. They did perfect. It was great. Okay, now time for the certificates. One at a time - we had it perfectly choreographed. A short prayer here and there that no-one would trip and that I wouldn't drop all the perfect ordered certificates. Okay - we got through that - I was so proud of my kids! Then they were off stage and I was to go sit down in front and listen to my parent's appreciation. Well, she spoke for a few minutes about watching their babies grow up and then she showed a video that she had put together of photos of the whole year and then me talking to the camera about my classes (she had asked me to say a few words one day for the kids and I had no idea we'd watch it there). And the song! Oh! I admit it - I cried!!! Then all the kids and parents wrote me notes and she put some of them in the video. It was amazing and in the theater full of people! Then I had to go on stage and two of my kids presented me with flowers almost bigger then me! It was unreal. I can't believe all the praise they gave me and I pass that right on to my Lord Jesus. For all the short prayers I whispered during the days of teaching at a new school in a new country. All the challenges I was up against this year - it was all worth it in that moment. Faith, Hope and Love and the greatest of these is Love! I loved those kids and I will never forget my first classes in Hong Kong. And then after - I don't think the winner of American Idol had as many pictures taken of them as I did tonight! I don't think I had that many pictures at my wedding. My cheeks hurt! Wow! It was a very special night and I'm glad it's over now and that it went so beyond well! We have school tomorrow (Wednesday), then Thursday and Friday and the we have Monday off (Dragon Boat Races) and then the students come Tuesday and Wednesday. Wednesday is our end of the year party at school and then Wednesday after school I attend a party at a parents house - the party afterparty I guess! Then Michele comes that night. Thursday I have a few conferences and clean up. Friday I check out and then it's the farewell luncheon and I'm finally free!!! What a year!

1 comment:

  1. If YOU cried being there, I almost cried looking at the pics and reading the blog! It's scary being in an entirely new continent and culture, but it seems you have adapted well and are doing great. Keep it up and I'm so happy you are "content in whatever state you are." :)

    ReplyDelete