Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Usual and The Unusual

Life in Hong Kong continues to be usual and unusual. I say usual because we get up, we go to work, we clean our apartment, we go grocery shopping, do laundry. You know - the usual. But it also remains the unusual because of things like - I go to my campus on a Saturday to drop stuff off (and remember it's in a shopping plaza) and there's a lion dance going on out front. Or I need plants for our garden theme and I have to go to a flower market to get them and it's incredible and amazing, full of plants and flowers I've never even seen! Or I attended a conference about the origins of our creation all day on a Saturday at my school/home. Or I went to eat Korean BBQ. Or I began tutoring a girl who lives on the 39th floor of a place called the Royal Ascot and it's royal I tell you! Definitely not the ususual.

I think it's easy to begin to take things for granted. I live here now. So I go about my routine. And then bam - I see something like that lion dance and it's like wow! And I remember I am here in Hong Kong - Asia! (It's on my facebook page if you want to see it). I think life can be like that. We forget to be amazed at a beautiful sunrise or a flower and in doing that we forget to be amazed at God. Today we had that conference and it was called Origins - Light not Heat. Wow. Three scientists who are also Christians presented to us their beliefs on how they basically interpret Genesis in the bible. Was it 6 literal days? Were there really millions of years? Are there gaps? Did we evolve but still as part of a divine plan? Whichever one you most related to they all proved the same thing - God created the universe. It was the most intellectually stimulating day I've had in a long time - if ever. I know I got about a hundred times smarter then when I arrived. And it strengthened my faith. This earth is so amazing. We are genetically so amazingly designed and the bible is so amazing. There are so many levels and depths to the scriptures that I can hardly absorb it. And science just proves it. Now if you want to know more about them or you want to know which angle I believe - email me because I just can't get into it all here. But it's wow days like today that just make me so glad I'm here and having these experiences. I know Ernie agrees too. That was today.

Yesterday, I began tutoring a 10 year old girl who doesn't attend our school but her cousin's son does. They were looking for a native English speaker to tutor her. So I got the job. It's on Friday's after school right next to my school. I go there and it's on the very top floor of this apartment complex called The Royal Ascot. The higher up you go the more pricey they are. It's probably a 30 Million Dollar apartment which is like an almost $4 million dollar property in USD. Wow. Huge and spacious and overlooking the horse race track. Prime view. I almost couldn't tutor for looking out the window! And they are paying me well - of course. That was unusual!
Well, I was going to blog about Chinese New Year but really, I didn't celebrate it much aside from our classroom party. I didn't go see the fireworks because I knew I couldn't take the crowds. Mostly people go and visit other family members and so of course I didn't. The pictures I posted on facebook about sums it up I guess.

Well, that's life in Hong Kong these days. The usual and the unusual. Stay tuned for more of the unusual.

1 comment:

  1. It is unfortunate how quickly we can take things and even people for granted. I'm constantly amazed at how "fearfully and wonderfully made" everything is that God created. Feel free to email me whenever as I would like to hear more about your conference. (((HUGS)))
    Teresa :)

    ReplyDelete