Friday, July 30, 2010

It's Friday - end of week 1

Wow, what a week! The last two days have been pretty meeting intensive and we haven't gotten out as much. However I've enjoyed some bonding time with ladies on my floor and attempted public transportation semi-alone. This afternoon my principal drove me over to the kindergarten campus and I met with the head teacher and my buddy/mentor Tina Wong. We had a great session and she answered the million questions I threw at her and of course I have a million more but I feel so much better. Then I had to get home so we took the train together but she let me lead and I did okay and then I had to get off by myself and walk home and of course I did just fine! Funny too but I ran into several other new teachers as soon as I crossed the street all in front of the Park n Shop. That was cool. We are already forming a community.

Living in a big city is a change. Living on the 7th floor of a building is a big change. Living in a school is so weird and cool. I can't even explain it. But I'm feeling more confident every day in the basics. I have also discovered that my previous school/district prepared me really well for the meetings and things on writing objectives and differentiated instruction and 6 traits writing. I think Ernie felt similarly that we were well prepared. So thank you Madison! And thanks most of all to the Lord. It's amazing when you can see each step that you have taken has meaning towards something bigger.

We practiced Cantonese phrases today. I know my bus stop. I know please/thank you/excuse me - Mm Goi. I kinda know how to say 7th floor. I'm learning fast. It's sooo cool! Ernie too and he's brave enough to use it. I said Mm Goi to the janitor lady today and she started talking to me in Cantonese and I had to say I don't know it! :) I really like the language. It's so interesting. Everything is so thrilling. And there's hand sanitizer everywhere here! What a clean and germ concious city!

Well, I don't really have much more to say. We have an ice cream social on our floor in about an hour. Tomorrow is Saturday and we get a day to ourselves. Not sure what we'll do yet. But we get our memory foam mattress pads - hurray! I don't think I've look forward to bedding more in my life! Then we'll attend church on Sunday at a church called ICA - Internation Christian Assembly and it's my birthday so maybe brunch. Then the cable/internet installer comes between two and three. Then it's back to work! Anyway, I'll post video after they install the internet and I can get on my personal laptop. I'm in the computer lab right now. Well, much love to you all and we're doing just fine.

8 comments:

  1. Cool. So how many stories tall is your building?
    Your school is a part of the building, correct?

    How do I add myself as a "follower" on this blog?

    Rained today...finally. Been very hot and humid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is so awesome! I am so happy for you and glad you're adapting so well and so quickly :) Keep us posted, I love reading about other countries and their cultures. God is doing an amazing work in you and your husband's lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that things are going so well! Happy Birthday on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading the blog and hearing about all you're doing. Thanks for sharing. Really anxious to see pics and videos; it'll be great to see you in the places you talk about. Love you much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to talk to you today! Love you! your bro

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see the video!!! I'm so glad that you are loving it over there and that everything is going so well. I'm also waiting for your address so I can send you a "real" letter!!! :) Tell Ernie I said hi!
    Lots of Love,
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are glad so much your'e doing is going so well!
    WE knew it would. There's no other way.
    Doug & H

    ReplyDelete